If a child or youth experiences a behavioral health crisis which creates an unsafe situation for themselves or others in the home, parents/guardians should:

  • Call 911 if there is an immediate danger to self or others
  • If you are experiencing a psychiatric emergency, call Emergency Services at 703-228-5160 or go to the nearest emergency room at your local hospital.
  • For urgent mental health and/or substance use needs that may be at risk of hospitalization, contact Community Regional Crisis Response(“CR2”) at 844-627-4747 or 571-364-7390. (SEE CR2 below)
  • For individuals with an intellectual and/or developmental disability (e.g., Autism Spectrum Disorders, Down’s Syndrome) experiencing a behavioral health emergency, call REACH at 855-897-8278.
  • Go to In Crisis/Need Help Now?on the APS website for important phone numbers, tips for students and families, and links to emergency information.


CR2 provides 24-hour rapid Mobile Crisis Response and Mobile Community Stabilization services as clinically indicated to children, youth, and adults experiencing a behavioral health crisis. These services include quality, community-based interventions at the location where the crisis is occurring.  Clinicians will work with the individual in crisis and their natural support system to develop an immediate plan to maintain safety in the least restrictive appropriate setting. Reach out if you or a loved one are experiencing:

  • Aggression or self-harm
  • Thoughts of suicide
  • Threatening behaviors
  • Dangerous decision making
  • Extreme social isolation
  • Property destruction
  • Hallucinations or delusional thinking
  • Loss of coping skills
  • Substance use

These services can be accessed through either the Northern Virginia Regional Crisis Call Center at 703-527-4077 or by calling the program directly at 844-N-Crisis (844-627-4747) or 571-364-7390. Please note: CR2 will not respond to a crisis at school without parent consent, and CR2 may recommend that callers reach out to other resources, depending upon the situation.


Arlington’s Department of Human Services now has a Children’s Services Act (CSA) contract with National Capital Treatment and Recovery (NatCap) to provide Substance Use Services to include Intensive Outpatient Services and Medication Assisted Treatment. They use American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) criteria to determine level of care which means that youth must be assessed and meet clinical need for program admission. National Capital Treatment and Recovery accepts Medicaid, private insurance, and CSA funding. With the CSA contract, you must go through the Family Assessment Planning Team (FAPT) process to secure funding. To learn more, please click HERE to view their website .

  • Families may now go directly to NatCap without going through the Arlington DHS Children’s Behavioral Health intake.
  • NatCap will do an assessment to determine the level of treatment needed.
  • NatCap takes private insurance as well as Medicaid.


The Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator can help find appropriate services, conveniently located near home or the workplace. Go to the Treatment Services Locator web page and enter your zip code or city, and the locator will help you narrow your search to mental health facilities, substance use treatment facilities, or health care facilities.

The National Helpline—1-800-662-HELP (4357)—provides 24-hour free and confidential treatment referral and information about mental and/or substance use disorders, prevention, and recovery in English and Spanish.

SAMHSA – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is the agency within the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services that leads public health efforts to advance the behavioral health of the nation.  SAMHSA provides leadership, supports programs and services, and devotes resources to helping the United States act on the knowledge that behavioral health is essential to health, prevention works, treatment is effective, and people recover. SAMHSA offers a number of ways to connect people with reliable, reputable sources for assistance with behavioral health issues.

Experiencing a natural or human-caused disaster can cause stress, anxiety, or depression-like symptoms. SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline offers assistance from the nearest crisis center to provide information, support, and counseling.


Suicide Prevention 

988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline is a SAMHSA-funded, toll-free hotline available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The Lifeline is available in more than 150 languages. Call or text 988, or chat the lifeline.

Parents and school staff can approach suicide prevention in the same way they do any other safety or health issue for children. One of the most impactful prevention strategies school staff can do is to educate caregivers on what puts kids at greatest risk for suicide and what protects them most strongly.


Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC)

MCEC supports all military-connected children by educating, advocating, and collaborating to resolve education challenges associated with the military lifestyle. The enduring strategic goals that the Military Child Education Coalition seeks are:

  • Military-connected children’s academic, social and emotional needs are recognized, supported and appropriate responses provided.
  • Parents, and other supporting adults, are empowered with the knowledge to ensure military-connected children are college, workforce and life-ready.
  • A strong community of partners is committed to support an environment where military-connected children thrive.

Helping Kids Work Through the Fear and Consequences of Global Violence  – Resources for Families, Educators, and other Professionals compiled by the Military Child Education Coalition (MCEC).

The Veterans Crisis Line connects veterans in crisis (and their families and friends) with qualified responders from the Department of Veterans Affairs through a toll-free hotline, online chat, or text. This confidential support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Dial 988 and press 1.


Opioid Treatment

The Opioid Treatment Program Directory helps people find local treatment programs by state. To locate physicians and treatment programs authorized to treat opioid addiction with buprenorphine, use the buprenorphine physician and treatment program locator. Learn more about finding help and treatment services for mental and/or substance abuse issues.